Friday, May 10, 2013

How soon we forget...

Warning: Soapbox Time

Let me start my saying that when I had one kid I absolutely hated when someone (strangers or people I knew) would say, "Oh, you just wait until you have another one." No matter what the issue, I feel like I heard this line all the flippin' time. When I would talk about his sleeping (yes, I acknowledge I got a good sleeper and am very thankful for that) I would hear, "Well, you just wait...your next kid won't be like that." Guess what? Good sleeper #2. I'm not saying this to brag, just setting this up for my annoyance with know-it-alls and people that seem to have a case of word vomit.

When it was just Dawson, I felt as though people with more than one kid would give me the "oh, just wait till you have more...one is a breeze." Nothing made me want to punch someone in the face more than when I would hear this. When you go from zero kids, to one...it's hard. And, I'm sure the comments from those parents thought that parenting was hard as well when they had just ONE. I'm sure they were completely exhausted, overwhelmed, and just wanted a sanity break every once in a while. Being a SAHM is THE hardest job I have ever had, even when I only had one. I wouldn't trade it for anything {well, maybe for a week by myself on the beach with a hot cabana boy bringing me endless fruity adult beverages. ;}

Always in my head, I thought how rude of people to just assume one was easy. Nothing was easy when trying to get pregnant with Dawson. It took us a year, which compared to some people doesn't seem like a long time...but let me tell you, that's was THE LONGEST year of my life. Luckily, we never had to seek fertility treatments. But, during that year it felt like everyone was pregnant except me. When it takes you a year to conceive you begin to wonder if it will be like that the next time around. And, then you start to think of others. This has always caused me to keep my mouth shut when I see couples with one child. I never ask, "when are you going to have another?" because maybe they just can't. Maybe they don't want anymore children or maybe they have struggled with infertility. Either way, you better believe I'm not going to be one of "those people" who just loves to tote around the fact that they are more tired or experienced than someone with only one kid.

Fast forward 3 1/2 years later, and I now have 2 kids. Guess what? Yes, it is more tiring...yes, my kids are different..yes, I want to run and hide sometimes...yes, sometimes I think of the "good ole days" when I only had one kid. But, you know what? I still remember everything about having one child and I never forget. I have empathy and sympathy for parents with one, because I too was at that point at one time in my life. I remember exactly how anyone with one kid feels and let me tell you, it's exhausting. I don't care if you have 1, 3, 7, 12, or 20 kids--being a parent is difficult! I absolutely LOVE being a Mom. I loved being a mom of one, and I love being a mom of 2 even more. I have vowed to never use the phrase "you just wait" or "you wouldn't understand" because I couldn't stand when people would say that to me when I just had Dawson. Seriously, ultimate pet peeve.

Hear that? That's the sound of me stepping off my soap box. :) On that note: I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and a HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY no matter how many kids you have! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, I love to read your comments! :)